• CNN Promises Another Obscene New Year’s Eve

by  • November 5, 2013 • Other • 15 Comments

Last New Year’s Eve, during CNN’s live coverage, raunchy “comedian” Kathy Griffin kissed anchorman Anderson Cooper’s crotch. And now, the cable news network has promised more of the same this year.

Kathy Griffin’s love of graphic and totally inappropriate content is well-known. Bad enough every cable and satellite subscriber in America has been forced to fund her specials on Bravo; but Griffin also delights in shoving indecent content into homes on the one night of the year when many parents allow their children to stay up late. In addition to last year’s antics, in 2009 Griffin dropped the “F” bomb. And in 2008, Griffin sneered an oral-sex themed slur at a bystander. Clearly, CNN likes offending families. If you object to paying for Kathy Griffin’s obscenity, sign our petition here.

The PTC’s Senior Writer/Editor since 2007, Christopher Gildemeister is responsible for communicating the PTC’s message to its members and the wider public through a wide variety of vehicles: a monthly newsletter, the PTC Insider; a weekly e-mail newsletter, the Weekly Wrap; the PTC’s blog; and the weekly columns Best TV Show of the Week, Worst TV Show of the Week, Worst Cable TV Show of the Week, and Misrated TV Show. He has also written the TV Trends and Culture Watch columns; Faith in a Box, a study of the portrayal of religion on television 2005-2006; and Habitat for Profanity, a study of the increase of foul language on TV from 2005 to 2010. From 2005 to 2007, he was an entertainment analyst, responsible for documenting sex, violence, and profanity on the former UPN network; ABC; and cable television, including the FX, MTV, ABC Family, Comedy Central and Spike networks. Dr. Gildemeister recently completed his Ph.D. dissertation in American history at The Catholic University of America.

15 Responses to CNN Promises Another Obscene New Year’s Eve

1. Annamarie Tromp
      November 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Stop airing offensive filth during the New Years Eve Celebration. We watch it as a family and are highly offended.

2. Anastacia
      November 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Will not watch this!

• James Wyant
        November 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Are the ratings so low that CNN has to present obscene and shocking material to capture the attention of the general public or is CNN aiming for a target group that prefers obscene material. Why not present the truth instead of someone’s perverted idea of their own private fantasies. I do not want my family watching things on TV that should only be done in private, between husband and wife. I’m sure if CNN spent more time presenting the TURTH, their ratings would go up. People are starving for the REAL TRUTH!!!

3. Lyssie
      November 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Please don’t air indecency on television for my children to watch, even at a late hour on a holiday in which they are up later. Even I, as an adult, don’t want to watch her. I’m sure I’m not alone.

• William Warfield
        November 6, 2013 at 10:24 pm

No, you *aren’t* alone. I *can’t* stand that woman and her “humor,” either.

In fact, I already signed the petition to make sure she *doesn’t* return. I hope the petition *will* be taken seriously.

4. 14203 NE 102ND ST
      November 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm

please don’t air Kathy Griffins over the top raunchy behavior on a night when families allow their kids to stay up late and will be exposed to this highly inappropriate behavior if it’s on tv. I for one , do not want to see it, and don’t want my children too see it either.

5. Dana
      November 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I’ve never watched CNN on New Year’s Eve–and after reading about this, I’m sure not going to this year!

Sadly, this kind of trash is on EVERY channel ALL THE TIME nowadays. Why? Same old excuse: “It’s cheaper and it makes money and ratings!” Well, it only makes money for a select view folks at the top. The reason for “higher ratings” is because there’s nothing else on TV except sex and smut and nothing but!

• Rich
        November 8, 2013 at 4:47 am

I agree Dana. This filth is on every channel and all the time. It’s why I hardly watch TV anymore. But I thank the PTC for warning us about which shows not to watch. I will stay clear of CNN on New Year’s Eve. I thought they were a news channel, not a smut channel.

6. darryl pruett
      November 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Stop airing filth on your station-especially concerning KATHY GRIFFIN.Is she the best role model for our kids?

7. Pernell Harrison
      November 8, 2013 at 2:50 am

CNN must have Kathy Griffin FIRED!

• William Warfield
        November 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

A friendly reminder:

*Be sure to sign the petition in the link above!*

8. Jason Deegan
      November 8, 2013 at 6:34 am

Filth eventually settles at the bottom. Continue to do what you do: don’t watch CNN.

9. Marion
      November 8, 2013 at 10:47 am

I am very disappointed CNN would even consider having Ms.Griffin as a lead entertainer for New Year’s Eve this year. Her “humor” belongs in some raunchy night club, not on the airways, when families are up late enjoying the celebration. CNN, please reconsider.

10. Dave Wollenberg
      November 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Definitely WON’T watch CNN, New Year’s Eve.

11. Andy S
      November 19, 2013 at 3:26 am

Can’t CNN raise their standards and not parade that obscene woman before us?