• The Choice that Phil Robertson Presents

by  • December 19, 2013 • Advertiser Accountability, Cable Choice • 19 Comments

Duck Dynasty There is a lot in the news today about Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson’s comments about homosexual behavior and other issues. Those comments have now led the A&E cable network to suspend Robertson indefinitely from the show, and I feel sure that there are PTC members on both sides of this latest cultural flash point.

A lot of what we do at the PTC is geared toward holding the entertainment industry and the advertisers who support them publicly accountable for the programming decisions they make via our Advertiser Accountability Campaign. In that respect, the PTC’s work is similar to what some other advocacy organizations do. However, the PTC’s mission is strictly to protect children from sex, violence and profanity in entertainment, and to do so, it’s important that we cast a wide net and bring as many people and voices who agree with our common sense mission as possible. As such, we won’t comment on the substance of what Mr. Robertson said because it’s a point of personal conviction for him and those who agree as well as those disagree with him.

But that’s not really the point that deserves to be made in all this.

Almost 10 years ago, MTV produced a Super Bowl halftime show that included the now-infamous Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake strip tease which shocked the entire world. Imagine if outraged parents and families had the ability to pick up the phone and unsubscribe from MTV the following day. It’s all but certain that millions of people would have made the economic decision to no longer support MTV with their cable subscription dollars, but the current cable cartel makes such economic activity impossible through the forcing of huge bundles of programming onto consumers.

No matter your feeling on Mr. Robertson’s comments and A&E subsequent decision to suspend him, there is no doubt that millions of fans of the show are upset with A&E’s decision in this case. Now imagine if those consumers had the ability to make a free market-based economic decision to no longer subscribe to A&E today. In a free market, consumers can “vote with their wallets” rather than have to resort to postings on social media to make their feelings known. Conversely, in a free market, those who agree with A&E’s decision could actively seek out more of their programming and pay for it.

We call on those who are upset with the programming decisions made by cable networks to support our Cable Choice campaign. Ask your Congressman and Senator to support Senator McCain’s a la carte cable legislation. If cable choice can be a reality in Canada and other parts of the world, it’s time for America to catch up.

As Director of Communications and Public Policy for the Parents Television Council, Dan Isett is responsible for advancing the PTC’s mission to federal, state and local elected and appointed officials, as well as the Federal Communications Commission.

19 Responses to The Choice that Phil Robertson Presents

1. Cynthia Horlick
      December 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I found this a Sad representation of what stands for Fairness in Hollywood today. If you do not believe what the LEFT is passing off as NORMAL; and cow tow to their beliefs ONLY; you will be ostracized, and punitively smeared. Your words will be twisted in ways they were never intended; to make THEIR argument against YOU. They will find ways to have you blackballed, and punished for your beliefs.! There is no freedom of religion, when one group will not equally allow another to voice their beliefs, without attacking them as hateful. When will we as Americans, Truly stand up for EVERYONES BELIEFE IN FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND RELIGION. Then will we all allow and respect each others religious beliefs without condemnation, and learn to be accepting in return both ways we can move on to a place where; religious people aren’t retaliated against just for believing in what their religion teaches.

• brandon
        April 23, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Even though I disagree with Phil’s beliefs I still don’t think he should be treated the way he was.

2. Jackie
      December 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I’m supporting Phil. I feel that A&E shouldn’t have asked if they really didn’t want to know.

3. April Dawn
      December 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Seriously it is Phil’s OWN opinion and he is allowed to have his own opinion about anything and it just happens to be a good one at that. I’m sick and tired of certain people crying the blues about what others say but it seems the cry baby’s(HRC and their Hollywood ally GLAAD) think its ok to say what ever they want last time I checked this is America even though its run by a Muslim which we will soon be a communist America because of that fact, BUT FREE SPEACH PEOPLE AND IT IS HIS OWN OPINION, sorry people, he speaks the truth you don’t like it don’t watch it no one cares what you think and for those that stand by Phil yes people HE ROCKS, just listening to Phil speak influences me to be a better person in my own life, leave him alone, and also by the way the (HRC) and their Hollywood ally GLAAD you offend me so keep your mouths shut!!!!! PHIL IS AWESOME!!!!!!

• William Warfield
        December 22, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I second that, April Dawn!

• brandon
        April 23, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I respect your opinion on homosexuality even though I disagree. But the comment, “America even though its run by a Muslim” that makes you sound like a racist idiot. You think homosexuality is a sin, that is fine. But when you make a comment like that I’m gonna call you out on it.

4. December 20, 2013 at 5:29 am

No more A&E for us!! A&E is the ultimate example of “bullyism ” and religious intolerance; and the irony is they can’t see that what they are doing is far worse than what Phil Robertson has done in expressing his faith-based opinions about homosexuality.

Okay … I vote with my remote! NO MORE A&E until they apologize to Phil for their anti-Christian bigotry. … wrb

5. Ron
      December 20, 2013 at 8:40 am

If those with conviction simply canceled their entire cable package their voice would be heard. Actually those with conviction probably already have.

6. Clay
      December 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

Thank you for your nuanced response to the Phil Robertson dust up. It would be ironic if this incident became the tipping point to nudge the public toward cable choice, Sometimes the missteps and foibles of well-meaning Christians can become the means God uses to make a change.

I like the Robertson family and A&E’s Duck Dynasty, but Phil blundered badly with his unguarded words in a public setting. Sure he had the right to say those things, but that doesn’t mean they were the right things to say. He was trying, albeit awkwardly and crudely, to explain a biblical conviction, but he did not biblically discern his audience. The problem is not just what he said, but the venue–the liberal left and media are looking for ways to declare that God’s Word is hate speech, and he inadvertently played right into their narrative. He should not be doing interviews like that, and his family needed to counsel and caution him about what to say and not say. Total wisdom fail.

On the other side, A&E knew all along exactly what “reality” they were getting with the Robertsons. The cable channel execs were certainly within their commercial rights to suspend Phil (this is not a “free speech” issue), but their reactionary judgmentalism will become a self-inflicted wound. They endorsed the family with the show, and profited greatly from the family knowing who they were, and now they should own up to their responsibility to support them. The bottom line is A&E was wrong to suspend Phil. Total business fail.

I know this is not PTC’s issue, but I appreciate your making a statement anyway. Keep up your good work of holding the “someone else’s entertainment” industry to the moral and legal standards they want to discard, and supporting quality entertainment for families and children. And keep up the fight for cable choice, however it gets on the public’s radar.

• Paulita
        December 24, 2013 at 5:53 am

You couldn’t have expressed my personal opinion any better. Well stated. The long term picture, yet another backfire for those trying to slash the throats of Christianity in this nation’s entertainment industry.

7. Kathleen Reed
      December 20, 2013 at 11:32 am

Agree 100% and have felt this way since the inception of cable.

8. James Cathey
      December 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I pledge to veto any show on A&E as well as any company who feels the action of A&E is what the public wants. As long as Phil is barred from the show I will be sure everyone I know will understand the harm you are doing the Good people in our country

9. Paul Guyer
      December 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I already HAVE unsubscribed from A&E because they are not ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT anymore! (Of course I unsubscribed from cable altogether, since everything on it irritates me!)

10. Senoma Searcy
      December 20, 2013 at 6:37 pm

One should have the right to express his opinion without fear of losing his job. If the people read the Bible they would know that what he said is true.

• brandon
        April 23, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Even though I believe in a different interpretation of that part of the bible. I still believe Phil had the right to voice his opinion.

11. Cindy
      December 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm

We can support them with our remote control and turn it off. Unfortunately that probably will not effect them.

12. Mark
      December 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I would like to thank A&E for making me a huge fan of Phil Robertson, like Jesus he stood tall knowing there might be a price to pay. Maybe we can talk another channel that actually has a moral compass to steal A&E’s most popular show.

13. December 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I support Phil Robertson and will gladly boycott if you tell me who.

14. Rick
      December 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm

The real hypocrisy here by A&E is their taking this action now AS IF THEY DIDN’T KNOW what Phil’s opinions might be on such matters before. Like they never noticed his prayers ending each episode, and the family’s INSISTENCE that they not be dropped from the show? You don’t market a show to a Christian audience, then poke Christian beliefs in the eye. I hope the Robertson’s pull the plug on A&E and move to a different network.