• Constantine: Supernatural Shock, Horror, and Gore

by  • September 11, 2014 • Paleyfest, Violence • 5 Comments

Constantine features levels of violence and horror that are hellish – literally.Constantine2

John Constantine is a self-proclaimed “exorcist, demonologist, and master of the dark arts.” Because of a botched exorcism, during which the innocent soul of a nine-year-old girl was dragged off to Hell by a demon, Constantine’s own soul is forfeit; yet John continues his reluctant and resentful battle against evil to protect the innocent. Constantine is joined in his fight by his indestructible colleague Chas, mysterious angel Manny, and beautiful, naive psychic Liv, who is new to the world of the occult.

Based on DC Comics’ Hellblazer, Constantine is essentially a cut-rate version of CW’s Supernatural with a British accent.  Demons, magical spells, and bloody violence are par for the course: the first episode showed John undergoing graphic electro-shock therapy; rotting, eyeless corpses vomiting blood; demons literally dragging people off to Hell; bloody, scarred zombies à la The Walking Dead; and Chas being graphically impaled through the chest by a metal pole. Constantine also throws around a fair amount of profanity, though much of it is British slang like “bloody” and “bollocks.” While adult fans of the comic and the supernatural horror genre may enjoy the show’s occult emphasis and gory special effects, Constantine is not recommended for younger teens or children.

Constantine premieres Friday, October 24 at 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC.

Take a look yourself and tell us what you think in our comments below!

5 Responses to Constantine: Supernatural Shock, Horror, and Gore

1. Dusty
      September 19, 2014 at 10:51 am

We need more of this subject matter like we need more evil in this world. NO THANKS! :(

2. Duty
      September 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I’m back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you waiting for?? This is a terrible terrible show for ANYONE to watch. I think we should all take a few hours a day to sit back & read The Bible. And pray. We are having evil, gore, fear & sex jammed down our throats that we do NOT need anymore of! :( I think I posted before on this same t.v. show. Get with the program. You created it after all.

3. Dusty
      September 19, 2014 at 1:10 pm

See. It has me so upset I spelled my own name wrong.

4. Leslie
      October 24, 2014 at 7:16 pm

This show just went over the edge with me. Saying “F%&* off” on a prime time show on one of the 3 major networks is NOT acceptable.

5. Michelle
      February 28, 2017 at 4:35 pm

You holier-than-thou people…it’s a tv show.Your kids are not going to turn into Satan if this show is on, or even if they watch it. its the way YOU raise them; not what’s on a show that denotes if they are going to be Satan.I watched much more scary tv shows and movies growing up and I have never done anything horrible of satanic.I believe in and respect God very much.My mom not a tv show made me who I am .