• A Boy’s Open Letter to Sports Illustrated

by  • March 18, 2015 • Sexualization • 8 Comments

America The Beautiful: Swimsuit Issue 2015

Even as the chorus of voices opposing the increasingly sexualized images of women in media grows louder, and even as those who have decided to break the mold have seen unprecedented success, some brands are backsliding even farther, and even children notice.

One brave young boy had had enough after seeing the cover of the latest Sports Illustrated  Swimsuit Issue.

In an open letter to Sports Illustrated the young boy writes:

“I am writing this letter because I am confused…As we walked past a magazine stand, I saw your swimsuit issue… I was shocked. I didn’t want to even see it, but it was right in front of me… I think this is harmful for children to see. I wasn’t prepared to see this and felt like it was forced in my face…

I have been taught to respect women. I even wrote a speech for school that encourages boys of my generation to be gentlemen. How are we supposed to treat women with respect when we grow up seeing them degraded?

I am mad but I am also confused. Isn’t your magazine about sports?

…it’s an important life lesson to learn to stand up for what is right, even when nobody else does. Just because America wants these kinds of pictures, doesn’t mean you have to deliver them. You can respect women and sell magazines at the same time. And I would gladly grow up and buy Sports Illustrated, if it was really about sports.”

It is time, both men and women let their voices be heard and inform these corporations that enough is enough!

To view the entire letter, and to get involved with the PTC’s efforts to combat sexualized media images, visit our 4 Every Girl facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/4everygirl.

LaQuita Marshall is the PTC’s Advertiser Accountability Coordinator.

8 Responses to A Boy’s Open Letter to Sports Illustrated

1. Lynda
      March 19, 2015 at 7:41 am

What is on TV is way out of control. I have nothing to watch and paying Comcast money to continue watching only old movies and a few news programs.

Does this organization have plans to have a meeting about the current situation. Please answer back, as I know all my family and friends are concerned. Possibly a rally?

2. Moax429
      March 24, 2015 at 3:32 pm

If there’s a *rally,* then count me in also!

3. Mary Minshall
      April 3, 2015 at 12:59 pm

As a subscriber to cable TV, I watch a number of channels and shows, but not nearly all of the channels for which I am paying. I would like to be able to choose which channels I want – the Smithsonian Channel, for instance plus the major networks, Fox and CNN, and the movie channels, but not the others because I don’t watch them. Please – when will the FCC do something about the way cable companies force us into paying for a lot of garbage that we neither want or need just in order to get programming we really want and can enjoy.

4. Clark
      April 3, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Two years ago I decided to cancel my Comcast. There were a couple of reasons – one is the raunchy programming that I was paying for and also the cost. We have a Netflix account and an Amazon Prime account on which we watch our programs of choice. I have not missed having Comcast in my home. My wife and I try to make our home a refuge from the world, a safe haven.

• Mary
        April 6, 2015 at 8:55 am

Hi Clark -
        I like your thinking…are you able to get the History Channel or HGTV through Netflix and/or Amazon Prime? I realize it wouldn’t be the current episodes, but we’re generally watching reruns anyway so shouldn’t really matter. We’d love to be able to get rid of the junk that cable supports!

5. Donna Blankenhorn
      April 3, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I have been very disturbed for a long time about content on TV and in the movies. I am glad people are speaking out and feel the same way I do. Things are way out of control. How are children suppose to be raised decently with all this out there? Parents need all the help they can get to raise children decently and with standards. Hope to see some changes soon in regards to TV standards. There at least use to be family hours but not any more.

6. Rose Grossius
      April 7, 2015 at 6:41 am

My mother used to have a plaque above the TV that said, “Would Jesus watch this show?”
      If it is not decent enough for the savior, it is not decent for our human eyes to see either.
      I am grateful to my mother for standing firm in raising us with moral values.
      Thank you, Mom!

7. Barbara Ballenger
      April 8, 2015 at 5:03 pm

I, a grown woman, was also disturbed when I saw the cover of the swimsuit issue this year in my face as I shopped.
      This boy is right. This isn’t sports & women shouldn’t have to wear skimpy suits that it looks like they’re pulling down
      in order to be featured on the cover (or inside) Sports Illustrated.