• PTC Victory: “Sex Box” Cancelled

by  • April 17, 2015 • Advertiser Accountability, Misrated, Ratings Reform, Sex, Television • 8 Comments

SBCancelled

The Parents Television Council called WE tv’s decision to take its live sex show, “Sex Box,” off the air after only airing five episodes a victory for its members and other concerned citizens who signed a national petition against the show.

“We are delighted to hear that ‘Sex Box’ has been cancelled by WE tv. The program from its very outset was an affront to families, toxic to advertisers, and a clear demonstration of a badly-broken business model that forces every cable/satellite subscriber to pay for unwanted and unwatched cable networks. PTC members and other pro-family groups who signed petitions against the show are to be congratulated for their successful activism,” said PTC President Tim Winter.

The program, which was first announced by WE tv back in February, was immediately met with a huge outcry from members of the American public. The PTC immediately swung into action, first denouncing WE for their horrendous choice in programming on a channel most cable subscribers are forced to pay for. The PTC demanded that, if it continued, WE and Sex Box be moved to a premium tier, where only those who wanted to watch the perverse program would have to pay for it.  We also delivered over 38,000 petition signatures from members of the public opposing the program to the president of WE.  Once the series premiered, we urged the advertisers who appeared in the program to stop sponsoring Sex Box. After the first week, Arm & Hammer dropped off the show;  after the second week, there were no national advertisers sponsoring Sex Box at all. By week five, the much-heralded series was off the air.

This, more than anything, demonstrates the power of the American public, when they choose to use it. Thank you for your support in bringing Sex Box to an end!

8 Responses to PTC Victory: “Sex Box” Cancelled

1. Daniel Belgrae
      April 17, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thank You very munch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. brandon
      April 20, 2015 at 10:26 pm

When you guys first talked about the show I thought “Sex Box” was just what you called the television.

3. Janee
      April 22, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Tim – for all your work on this! I have emailed this Organization to many of my friends…hoping they are joining in! I just made my first donation and will make more as I can. I’m just so glad to see there is a way to FIGHT the awful shows that are being put on TV today! Thank you again…

4. Ann Macdonald
      April 24, 2015 at 7:20 am

Thank you very much for bringing this terrible show to our attention. Keep up the good work and we’ll support you.

5. Estela U
      April 24, 2015 at 6:49 pm

I’m glad is being canceled, I was not buying the products the PTC said that sponsored the program if you can call it program. I send a message to Harm and Hammer about that, hope it helped in a way.

6. Jan Buckman
      April 25, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Thank You for all your efforts on this & so many other inappropriate TV shows. It’s a real shame that common sense does not prevail when it comes to what is put on TV. Are we surprised at the sad state of so many young people today?
      Sometimes it seems like a losing battle, but it’s great when there is a victory. Get ready for the next fight!

7. Connie Mower
      May 2, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thank you for your hard work on this very worthwhile project to protect our children from the filth and degradation of TV progamming. There is nothing more precious and valuable than our children and grandchildren. God bless you!

8. Martha
      June 9, 2015 at 7:24 am

I just stumbled across this site when I googled ‘abc family complaints’ I don’t consider myself an ultra conservative parent but I can’t leave the room if my kids are watching tv, even when it is a child appropriate show the commercials and ads for their other programs are obscene. Watching Princess Diaries and have to be reminded every 11 minutes that Knocked Up is on next? On abcfamily? why? Thank you very much for the extremely important work you do.