• Family-friendly TV Receiving Sequels

by  • April 23, 2015 • Broadcast Decency, Television • 10 Comments

Several favorite family-friendly series from the past are receiving sequels on TV today.

The rumors are true! As John Stamos confirmed on the April 20th episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live, a spin-off of Full House will soon be coming to TV. The spin-off, to be titled Fuller House, will air with 13 episodes on Netflix.  For those who don’t remember, Full House was a show that chronicled a widowed father raising his three daughters with the help of both his best friend and his brother-in-law. Appearing on Fuller House will be former Full House stars Candace Cameron-Bure, Jodie Sweetin, and Andrea Barber.  and With subscribers in over 40 countries, and a growing stable of other original shows, the internet streaming media provider Netflix is quickly gaining a leading position as a source for entertainment without cable or even a television.

Another American sitcom about coming of age was Boy Meets World, about the romance and eventual marriage of Topanga (Danielle Fishel) and Cory (Ben Savage).  This program recently got its own spinoff on Disney Channel. Girl Meets Worldcenters on Cory and Topanga’s daughter Riley Matthews.

Without revealing my age, I guess this means I’m getting old. The shows I grew up with are coming back for the younger generation!  On the positive side, it’s good to see these family-themed shows coming back. Programs like Full House and Boy Meets World had a way of teaching and discussing life’s ups and downs without having to contain graphic sex and dialogue to get people to watch.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe someone will do a spin off for Saved By the Bell!

What shows would you like to see come back?  Share your response in the comment section.

LaQuita Marshall is the PTC’s Advertiser Accountability Coordinator.

10 Responses to Family-friendly TV Receiving Sequels

1. Glenda
      May 1, 2015 at 7:05 am

I always enjoyed I Love Lucy, The Carol Burnette Show, Father Knows Best, and Lassie (just to name a few). Let’s bring them all back.

2. Sharron
      May 1, 2015 at 7:15 am

Full House may not have had bad language or violence, but was it really family friendly? Not the traditional family. No mom, three men in San Francisco, two men were related by marriage, one man was just a friend living in the basement and they raised three girls. Right! It was really just a half-step into the world of non-traditional families that all of America would accept and long for. I really wish this concept would go away. Bring back the Cosby show and remake it with out Mr. Bill before remaking San Francisco Family.

3. Lisa Matney
      May 1, 2015 at 7:22 am

Home Improvement, Everyone Loves Raymond, & Gilmore Girls Are my all-time favorites.

4. Heather P
      May 1, 2015 at 7:37 am

I would like to see updates on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, The Cosby Show, and Judging Amy.

5. Mrs.M
      May 1, 2015 at 8:01 am

Laugh-in…..Ozzie and Harriet…..Partridge Family…..

6. Jane
      May 1, 2015 at 8:36 am

I think these days, fathers are made to look weak and nonessential to a family. I would like to suggest a remake of a show like Father Knows Best, or something with a strong male influence, to offset the garbage that is being made today.

God bless you!
      Jane

7. Dandyo
      May 1, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Father Knows Best, Ozzie & Harriet, The Donna Reed Show, Lassie, & Gidget. I also like The Andy Griffith Show, My Three Sons & Leave It To Beaver. Sensational!
      I love Perry Mason & Alfred Hitchcock .

8. brandon
      May 4, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I’m all for bringing old shows back. I’m looking forward to X-files and Heroes. I would love it if they brought Tru Calling or The Nanny back. There are sometimes though where I ask myself “why are they bringing that back?” “I thought that story ended just fine.” One example was that Girl Meets World spin-off. I loved Boy Meets World and I didn’t think it needed a continuation.

9. M. Keogh
      May 5, 2015 at 5:27 pm

All of the above are good suggestions. I would add the little house in the prairie,

10. Melba Glock
      May 14, 2015 at 8:46 am

Would love to see “welcome back Kotter” again!