• TV Has One Less Serial Killer

by  • June 22, 2015 • Other • 13 Comments

Mads Mikkelson

First Stalker and The Following got the ax, now Hannibal — it’s pretty clear that audiences have little interest in shows that glorify psychopathic killers. And yet the networks keep cranking them out. What gives?

In announcing the cancellation, The Hollywood Reporter quotes showrunner Bryan Fuller, “NBC has allowed us to craft a television series that no other broadcast network would have dared, and kept us on the air for three seasons despite Cancellation Bear Chow ratings and images that would have shredded the eyeballs of lesser Standards & Practices enforcers.”

NBC kept Hannibal on the air despite the graphic violence that would have given other networks pause and despite consistently low ratings. But why? If, as we so often hear, Hollywood is only motivated by profit, why would they keep a low-rated show going for so long when surely they are losing out on potential ad revenue by keeping it around?

THR goes on to report, “The series has been a hit with critics, who praised Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls) for pushing the boundaries of broadcast television with the show’s graphic and visually creative deaths.”

There’s your answer.

With Hannibal, as with so many other programs, Hollywood is creating content not for audiences at home, but for themselves and their peers in the Entertainment Industry.

It’s well and good to say, “If you don’t like it, change the channel,” but the reality is that millions of Americans are changing the channel — out of 115.9 million TV households, less than 2 million watched the last episode of Hannibal – but Hollywood is still churning out this graphically violent content as if it were in high demand.

It’s long past time for NBC to pull the plug on Hannibal. It’s time for Hollywood to stop glorifying psychopaths — period.

Ms. Henson is a noted expert on entertainment industry trends and the how the impact of entertainment affects children and the American popular culture at large. She also directs the organization’s Advertiser Accountability Campaign, which encourages companies to sponsor family-friendly entertainment. She previously supervised the research and program content analysis operations of the PT and produced a number of groundbreaking PTC studies that document the levels of graphic sex, violence and profanity on television. Some of those reports include: The Ratings Sham I & II, Dying to Entertain, Faith in a Box, The Sour Family Hour, The Blue Tube, and TV Bloodbath. She began her career with the PTC in 1997 as an entertainment analyst, documenting instances of inappropriate content on television. Ms. Henson has appeared on a variety of television shows including Fox News Channel’s The O’Reilly Factor, Your World with Neil Cavuto, The Big Story, CNN Headline News’ ShowBiz Tonight, CNBC’s On the Money, MSNBC’s Scarborough Country, and CBN’s Newswatch. She is a frequent guest on radio talk shows across the country and has been quoted extensively in news sources such asEntertainment Weekly, Time, Newsweek, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, USA Today, New York Daily News, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, Variety, Associated Press, Reuters, and Bloomberg. Ms. Henson is a graduate of the University of Virginia where she received a BA in Government. She resides in Falls Church, Va., with her husband and their son.

13 Responses to TV Has One Less Serial Killer

1. kirsi
      June 23, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I never watched this series. It sounded awful,

• Moax429
        June 24, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Neither did I, but praise the Lord it’s now *history!*

*Good riddance!*

• fjf
          June 26, 2015 at 8:19 am

Hannibal is now where it belongs – ln the TRASH!

2. Katherine schantz
      June 26, 2015 at 4:41 am

What did Jesus say? When bad becomes good then
      soon good will be gone…we are on our way…

3. Vicki Cassidy
      June 26, 2015 at 4:55 am

Can’t believe such an absolutely ignorant, stupid, useless, show even got air time. Shows how uneducated the supposedly creative people handling programming on TV can be. Doesn’t take much to put out a show that doesn’t require crearivity. The tv networks have fallen to such an absolute very low number of talented, creative, educated employees.

4. Gloria
      June 26, 2015 at 5:53 am

I did not watch it and am happy it will not be shown.

5. Meaton6335
      June 26, 2015 at 6:00 am

I will miss this show. I am one of its loyal viewers. The low viewership is due to NBC changing the day it airs. The show originally aired on Tuesday, then Friday, and now Thursday. But always at 10:00 pm EST after the kids are in bed.

The cast is outstanding. I love the performances by Mads Mikkelsen, Lawrence Fishburne, and now Gillian Anderson. The subject matter is grisly and gruesome, but NBC has kept the gratuitous violence out of the plot that you see in many other series.

I applaud NBC for trying to make a series that competes with cable channel series on HBO, Showtime, and Starz. I am only saddened that they are again killing another TV series.

6. Debbie Carrier
      June 26, 2015 at 6:13 am

My curiosity got the better of me, and I watched a few episodes the first season. Dark, dark, dark. This season, I watched the first episode. Even darker, and I still can’t get one scene out of my mind. I am glad it’s been cancelled. Something like that should never have been on TV in the first place.

7. June 26, 2015 at 7:22 am

I like the show and it scarry. I wish you have shows on Friday and Saturday. I am tired of the reruns! On Thursday you are against other two of my favorite show. One of them is rookie Blue on ABC and Mistress on ABC. That why you should move the new shows on Fryday. Since it a reruns.

8. Becky
      June 26, 2015 at 8:05 am

I never watched this. It sounded disgusting! Now if they would cancel The Following and The Killing, even online, the world would be a better place. I got lured into watching them for awhile but ditched them both because of disgusting content.

9. Carol
      June 26, 2015 at 12:14 pm

I really enjoyed the first season. It was more like a detective story, who did the killings? Then the second season was a bit strange with Will being accused of the killings and in some sort of prison. Now this third season is just weird. I have watched some of the episodes several times just trying to figure out what is currently happening, what is a flash back, and what is Will’s imagination. I wish it were more like the first season. I will not miss what it has become.

10. Teresa
      June 26, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I NEVER WATCHED THE GARBAGE AND I’M HAPPY THAT IT WILL BE HISTORY!!!!!!

11. Forrest
      July 2, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I have no problem with television series like these pushing the envelope of what can be shown on television, and frankly, I’m sad to hear that the show will be cancelled, but I thought that the TV-14 rating was ridiculous. The show’s graphic violence and mature thematic material should have garnered a heavy TV-MA without a doubt. It bugs me how inconsistent and flawed these TV ratings are when the networks are allowed to rate their own shows.