• MTV’s Miley Move Raises Serious Issues for Parents

by  • July 22, 2015 • Other • 16 Comments

Miley

The Parents Television Council responded to the news that MTV chose Miley Cyrus as the host of its 2015 Video Music Awards Show.

“MTV’s choice of Miley Cyrus as host for its annual Video Music Awards show makes clear the network’s intentions as to what kind of program it intends to air.  This raises two serious issues.  First, if MTV cannot guarantee that the program will be suitable for children, then the network must – must – rate the show TV-MA.  Assigning any lower age-rating constitutes an express message to parents, and to corporate sponsors, that the program will be free of explicit material.  Second, the network’s decision reminds us that subscribers should be able to pick up the phone and ‘unsubscribe’ to MTV.  But we can’t.  Viacom is able to force-bundle MTV onto every cable and satellite subscription in the country, squeezing nearly 50¢ per month per customer – half a billion dollars per year – regardless whether they want MTV or not.  It is high time for Congress, the FCC and the courts to end the cable cartel’s extortion-like scheme of forced network bundling,” said PTC President Tim Winter.

16 Responses to MTV’s Miley Move Raises Serious Issues for Parents

1. Vickie Moore
      July 22, 2015 at 11:22 am

If you are going to put on another freak show, you have the responsibility to label it as such. This is not family programming.

• Phoenix Darknight
        July 22, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Who watches MTV anymore anyway?

• moax429
          July 26, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I sure *don’t,* thank the Lord – especially since, as I said in another posting, I “cut the cord” once I moved to Charlotte, Michigan last Christmas and began using an over-the-air antenna!

Besides, MTV started going down the tubes in the early 90′s (I was then in my late 20′s – early 30′s). By then, they weren’t fun to watch anymore.

• July 23, 2015 at 9:12 am

I don’t care for her but, they are forcing all kinds of things down our throats. I will no longer watch NBC I do not care about what that freak Jenner is doing. Its sick pathetic and I as a Christian do not want or care to see this kind of trash.

2. MK
      July 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Won’t be watching! Not suitable for kids – no fun for adults!

3. Suzanne
      July 22, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Horrible choice. I won’t even be watching as she is only nasty and attention seeking. Changing the channel.

4. Pernell
      July 24, 2015 at 8:49 am

Watching MTV is a terrible choice! Glad I don’t watch that channel. MTV is disgusting!

5. Pat
      July 24, 2015 at 9:08 am

This is why I don’t have a TV. There is nothing on it worth watching and I can get the news on my computer.

6. Glenda
      July 24, 2015 at 11:19 am

I guess MTV is desperate enough to go to such extremes to allow Miley Cyrus to be in the spotlight. Little do they realize that quality audiences desire high quality shows and performers. Looks like MTV struck out on both levels. O God – please forgive us (and MTV) for promoting satan’s brand of entertainment.

• Donna Blankenhorn
        July 24, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I couldn’t have said it better. This is just encouraging Miley Cyrus and others to act in their lewd ways. They evidently want them to. I wonder if producers, etc. even have the talent to be able to produce quality shows anymore. It is easier for them to just throw junk in these shows. Don’t they have any kids or relatives that they care about and want to grow up decent? Most adults are craving for quality shows, too.

7. Jean
      July 24, 2015 at 12:31 pm

In my opinion Miley Cyrus acted like a pig and as soon as I saw what she was doing, I turned to a different channel. It is getting harder and harder to find suitable viewing anymore. It seems to be either about sex, violence or gore. Thank you for trying to make our TV viewing better!

8. Ann
      July 24, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Anything with which Cyrus is connected is not going to be suitable for many adults–let alone children. Why are TV stations pandering to the lowest common denominator of viewer? I appreciate that PTC is trying to change that.

9. Deanna
      July 24, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Just knowing that Miley Cyrus will be hosting will be enough to make me not even think about turning on the show. She is only on there for shock value and to one up her last performance. Its truly unfortunate.

10. Gayle
      July 24, 2015 at 4:23 pm

…said to whom? Was this a press release? Will anyone read it? How to contact Viacom or MTV?

11. C Fendon
      July 24, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Poor choice for s host. No need to watch her try to one up prior antics!

12. maria
      July 31, 2015 at 9:21 am

i have stopped watching any think that has to do with Cyrus for my kids