• Family-Friendly Fantasy Soars with Supergirl

by  • September 14, 2015 • Broadcast Decency, Paley2015, Paleyfest • 8 Comments

This delightful superhero series is perfect for families – especially girls.

As the planet Krypton neared its end, two spaceships were launched. One contained baby Kal-El; the other, his twelve-year-old cousin Kara, who was supposed to watch over the baby. But Kal-El’s ship reached Earth first, and the infant grew to be our greatest hero, Superman. When Kara arrived, she was raised by the Danvers, and gained an adoptive sister, Alex.  Today, the grown Kara works as an intern for billionaire media mogul Cat Grant…but when needed, she defends the city as Supergirl!

From the same showrunners responsible for the CW’s Arrow and The Flash, Supergirl is much lighter, cheerful, and upbeat. Series star Melissa Benoist is a delight in her dual role; humorously mousy and shy as Kara, appropriately determined and heroic as Supergirl. Though there is some fantasy violence on the program; Kara is shot at, but as Supergirl is of course immune to bullets, and she is thrown around and through buildings, but again suffers no harm. In fact, the show’s violence is substantially less than that found in such theatrical movies as Iron Man. There were also no references to sex or foul language, at least in the first episode, thus making Supergirl ideal for children.

For far, far too long – since the 1970s series Wonder Woman – a strong, brave, kind, and heroic woman character appropriate for even the youngest children has been missing from the small screen. Happily, this has been amended. As a character says in the first episode: “A female hero? I’d like my daughter to have someone like that to look up to.” Now, America’s girls – and boys – have such just such a character in Supergirl.

Supergirl premieres Monday, October 26th at 8:30 p.m. Eastern on CBS.

8 Responses to Family-Friendly Fantasy Soars with Supergirl

1. Matt Rahwm
      April 3, 2016 at 9:03 am

It seemed to start out for kids but has quickly changed to the typical older teen, gay, liberal, sex focused show with hidden agendas. Guess we shouldn’t have expected more from same producer as Dawson’s Creek. Show we are watching right now, and about to turn off, with my 9 yo, just had super girl catch her coworkers having sex in the closet through her X-ray vision. It wasn’t enough to just make it a quick joke. They had to draw it out with them putting clothes back on and talking about it. The language has also gotten progressively worse. I’m sure this is the plan of these shows. Market it to kids, get the liberal media to promote it as option for kids, tone down the first few episodes for parents to approve knowing that parents will probably stop watching…thinking their kids are still watching appropriate programming but really getting indoctrinated to liberal thinking. My kids Won’t be watching this again.

2. March 17, 2016 at 4:21 pm

This looks nice. I’m watching a lot of TV series at the moment but I’ll leave a room for it someday. I like when the put girls on Tv series, it shows that we have voice and power #girlpower.

3. November 19, 2015 at 7:29 am

I keep seeing praise about this show being family friendly and so far I have to disagree. Upbeat and lighter than some shows, yes. Inappropriate dialogue for some family members, also yes.

So…started watching with my older teenage daughter even though Supergirl is not really my thing. And still watching with an open mind. Some intriguing aspects such as the mystery of what is up with Hank Henshaw or if a larger plot involving Auntie Astra will ever get rolling. But I have one major complaint. This whole show keeps driving the strong female persona bit and that is great and I thought it might be a good show for my younger daughter to watch with me showing her Supergirl’s development into a strong female superheroine (super heroes are usually of good character example), but I find it hard to allow her (the younger daughter) to watch with all of the references, particularly this week’s not so happy thanksgiving episode, about her lack of sexual relations, comments on her “equipment” down there, someone conquering her chastity belt, comment about National City’s teenage star leaving a gay bar, etc… Even dating back to the pilot when her buddy vocally made the assumption that she was a lesbian. I’m cool with all that, I am an adult. Even cool with my teenager hearing that dialogue because she is old enough to understand. But I do not need to be asked by my younger daughter what a chastity belt or gay bar are nor what “equipment” they are referring to. It seems a shame that the strong female character development can’t be seen and maybe influence the truly young and impressionable who may become lifelong Supergirl fans. Other shows such as Arrow and The Flash, while I would not let my younger daughter watch because they are darker, have dealt with similar context, but on a much more subtle level. If this stuff was kept to subtle adult humor it might be viewable, but this stuff is just out right in your face when you watch. So, no, my younger daughter will not be becoming a hardcore Supergirl fan anytime soon. Like I said, a shame.

It seems for a show not wanting to objectify the main female character, they sure are throwing a lot of sexual innuendos out there. Just because the characters turn up their noses at the comments showing their disapproval does not mean that the dialogue being delivered is appropriate for families.

4. Jonathan
      September 23, 2015 at 12:16 pm

This looks horrible. The CW should have handled this show, they know how to make a good DC comic show.

• Christopher Gildemeister
        September 30, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Supergirl is produced by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, and Ali Adler, all of whom work on the CW series Arrow and The Flash.

It basically *IS* a CW series…except that it actually takes place in the daytime!

5. Bob Porrazzo
      September 21, 2015 at 10:40 am

I had a feeling you guys would heap praise on this show. I like the comparisons to Wonder Woman. But why not also cite The Bionic Woman? It was of that same era. Writers and producers have said they have the first two Superman films directed by Richard Donner and starring the late Christopher Reeve to thank for the tone which they have set. In fact, one WB exec compared star Meliisa Benoist to Reeve himself. That is high praise indeed.

6. William Hughes
      September 19, 2015 at 9:24 am

Amen ! Now I’ll wait until it comes out on DVD, so I won’t have to cope with all the commercials (Some of which are age-inappropriate not to mention considering next year is an even-numbered year, and you know what kind of commercials they’ll be tossing at us (Some are already being aired). :(

7. Anne Dardis
      September 18, 2015 at 8:00 am

HOORAY!!!! Finally something we can enjoy watching!!!