• Family Feud Shows Decline in TV Standards

by  • February 29, 2016 • Broadcast Decency, Family Friendly • 17 Comments

For decades, Family Feud was an innocuous family-centered game show. But in recent years, the program has become larded with explicit sexual content, and provides a perfect example of what is wrong with TV today.

From its beginning in the 1970s through the tenure of its first host, Richard Dawson, Family Feud was a relatively innocuous game show which could be enjoyed by the entire family. While Dawson’s habit of trying to kiss every woman contestant could be grating, and the host occasionally offered up a mildy salacious remark, on the whole the program was acceptable fare for families.

How times have changed.

As noted by an article on Yahoo.com, “Family Feud has gone from being a wholesome game show you could turn on while the family had dinner, to something you definitely don’t want the kids watching.” As proof of this assertion, the article noted, last week current host Steve Harvey asked the question, “Besides ‘Hooters,’ what’s another word or words for ‘breasts’ that a bar might call itself?” The answers from the audience included “boobs,” “melons,” and other slang terms for the female anatomy.

Those in charge of producing TV programming often deflect criticism by saying, “We’re only giving people what they want,” and “If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.” But it’s hard to believe anybody wants – or is watching – what Family Feud is offering families today.

17 Responses to Family Feud Shows Decline in TV Standards

1. Carlene Bennett
      March 1, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I totally agree. I had to quit watching it.

• Nancy
        March 6, 2016 at 10:30 am

Unfortunatley of late,with Steve Harvey hosting, there are way too many innuendoes.

It has been a family favourite for years.

We wish the content to be more family orientated.

2. Jennifer Haney
      March 1, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I used to watch the Family Feud almost everyday, but I haven’t watched it about a year now because when I did I always felt uncomfortable with the raunchy questions and answers they had. So Disappointing.

3. moax429
      March 2, 2016 at 8:49 am

Now I’m worried: Are “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy” going to be next?

• Enigmatis
        March 3, 2016 at 11:56 am

Fortunately, no.

• moax429
          March 4, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Thanks very much for the reassurance.

I have been watching “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” lately and they seem to be slightly veering off into the same direction “Family Feud” is now going. “Wheel” and “Jeopardy” – especially the latter – are about the only two safe havens left.

4. Debbie
      March 4, 2016 at 10:51 am

Hmmm, doesn’t Steve Harvey claim to be a Christian?

5. Etha1616
      March 4, 2016 at 10:53 am

I agree as well. I no longer watch the show. When they use sexual remarks on just about every question I got tired of watching.

6. Linda Taylor
      March 4, 2016 at 11:32 am

My husband and I stopped watching Family Feud in 2014 and if The Chase continues in the avenue of “suggestiveness” we will turn it off as well. We are not obligated to watch these kind of programs.

7. Alvera Keene
      March 4, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I am totally disgusted the direction “Feud” has taken. I no longer watch. My grandkids used to love this show but no longer are permitted to do so.

8. Dave Wollenberg
      March 4, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Richard Dawson is rurnin’ in his grave, over the raunchiness!

9. Carolynn Settle
      March 4, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Steve Harvey claims to be a Christian, but Family Feud has gotten so raunchy, my family no longer watches it.

• Jay
        January 24, 2017 at 2:59 am

He is a Hollywood Christian… Doesn’t apply it in his life and only brings it and God up when it is necessary to him. These types don’t just exist in Hollywood either…

10. BekBek
      March 5, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I was so shocked the first time I watched Family Feud with Steve Harvey!
      I would advise parents with small children to block this program. I am a little surprised with Steve Harvey that he would even be a host to this garbage.
      I no longer watch this show!

11. JEFFERY TOPPS
      March 6, 2016 at 8:27 am

It’s a commentary on our society and the lowest common denominator leading the way. Too bad.

12. Sharlene Jordan
      April 13, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I was relieved to see others feel the same way I do about the Family Feud Show. I think they forgot the word “Family” means something that all people should enjoy. I love Steve Harvey as a person who really cares about people. I feel as a Christian that he says he is he has an opportunity to make some stands that will show his heart as a mentor. I think a good turn around would be for him to see his life affects many others. It worries me when there is so much vulgarity,
      I think it keeps many families from wanting to be contestants on this show because of feeling exploited or embarrassed. I PRAY for Steve Harvey. He says he is a Christian so he is my brother that needs prayer and some help in areas of a clean life- style that is wholesome, Wholesome living feels like fresh clean air,

13. MRS KD
      December 1, 2017 at 8:45 am

I rarely watch Family Feud anymore due to the explicit questions and answers. It’s definately not the same show I started watching as a child in the 70s, But my husband came home early one evening and I sat and watched it with him and lo and behold, it was confirmed why I never watch it anymore. One of the questions was “what does James bond have that most men want”? The number one answer was referring to the many beautiful women that he had but instead of being proper and respectful, when the answer “flipped over”, I was shocked and appalled when it said “p*ssy galore”!!! These answers are offensive to children, elderly adults and Christian people that watch the show, or want to watch the show. I couldn’t believe it, I sat there with my mouth wide open for the longest time. No more Family Feud in this house!!