• PTC: “The Walking Dead” Demonstrates Why Families Need Cable Choice

by  • October 25, 2016 • Cable Choice, Ratings Reform • 133 Comments

the-walking-dead-season-7-premiere-recap

The Parents Television Council called for greater consumer Cable Choice, following the season premiere of AMC’s The Walking Dead.

“Last night’s season premiere of The Walking Dead was one of the most graphically violent shows we’ve ever seen on television, comparable to the most violent of programs found on premium cable networks. It’s not enough to ‘change the channel,’ as some people like to advocate, because cable subscribers – regardless of whether they want AMC or watch its programming – are still forced to subsidize violent content. This brutally-explicit show is a powerful demonstration of why families should have greater control over the TV networks they purchase from their cable and satellite providers,” said PTC President Tim Winter.

“For those who say there is no societal impact from media, I urge them to contemplate the presidential election for a few minutes. And while The Walking Dead has found unquestionable Nielsen success for a cable program, most Americans do not want that kind of ultra-graphic and violent content coming into their homes. But if they want to watch a football game on Sunday night, or if they want to watch the Chicago Cubs clinch their first Pennant in three generations, or if they want to watch news coverage of the election, they are forced to underwrite The Walking Dead as part of their programming bundle.

“Programs with violent content are proven to be harmful, especially to children; and most parents agree that having greater control over violent content coming into their homes is vital to protecting their family. When a basic cable network like AMC edges or even surpasses the premium networks in terms of explicit content, consumers must be afforded more control over which networks they purchase and which networks they don’t.”

133 Responses to PTC: “The Walking Dead” Demonstrates Why Families Need Cable Choice

1. Jeremy
      October 30, 2016 at 4:58 pm

It’s not it’s 2016 and you no longer need cable to watch show anymore. If you buy it, it’s because you CHOSE to buy it.

2. Steve
      October 29, 2016 at 6:56 pm

We are strongly for cable choice!!

3. Laura
      October 29, 2016 at 2:09 pm

For everyone saying it’s rated TV-MA and thus not for kids, it’s only because of the good efforts of the Parents Television Council that it’s rated TV-MA and not TV-14! AMC was originally misrating it TV-14 in the first 2 seasons and first half of season 3, but due to the efforts of Parents Television Council AMC agreed that TV-MA was the more appropriate rating and started rating it TV-MA. See article below:

4. October 29, 2016 at 8:27 am

I want cable choice NOW. Just like going to a full service restaurant, I can buy the food items I want from the daily menu, and not get every dish on the daily menu to eat, or throw away, and have to pay for it all! Cable choice NOW!!!!

5. bonnie Lawler
      October 29, 2016 at 5:13 am

I should not be subjected to degenerate, graphic scenes while channel surfing. Access to these programs is unavoidable at such times.

6. Carolyn G
      October 28, 2016 at 6:56 pm

I am definitely for cable choice. The majority of the programming is not good and not anything that I care to watch. For the price I am paying for channels that I do not want, I am thinking about disconnecting. We used to have entertaining television and the advertising paid for the cost. We have the advertising yet and pay through the nose to watch a lot of “crap”.

7. charma
      October 28, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Even worse is “How to Get Away with Murder.” Some young person used that to set up a murder.
      A poor TV choice.

8. Sue Burrrell
      October 28, 2016 at 11:39 am

Cable choice gives the opprtunity to choose and pay for what you actually want. It’s the “American Way”!

9. Critic W
      October 28, 2016 at 10:43 am

The lack of cable choice has no basis for argument. We aren’t forced to include a fax line in order to have telephone service. Our gas and electric service do not make us buy flood insurance. We don’t subsidize Fedex in order to get stamps for US Mail. I simply do not understand the cable industry’s ability to maintain this extortion. In a capitalist system, your product is either good enough or it isn’t. If what you’re selling cannot stand up to purchasing desires of the audience it doesn’t remain. Are there not any smart lawyers trying to raise their children under this corruption? It just doesn’t make sense.

10. PegC
      October 28, 2016 at 10:30 am

Irrespective of TWD, I am hugely in favor of unbundling cable. Canada is going through this now and so should the U.S. I object less to AMC than I do all the cable news channels, all the ESPN channels, etc., and certain movie channels, that I object to paying for. I strongly object to supporting any channels I don’t watch with our hard-earned dollars.

That said, I quit watching TWD after last season because I knew exactly where it was going, and this is no longer edifying for me. We pay $160/month for 1 or 2 shows now, which is insane. Most of what we watch and pay for is on Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV and YouTube. Cable TV has pretty much lost us and will lose our $$ when hubby retires. Our kids are homeschooling evangelicals and they have no TV in the house; only Roku with parental controls. It’s a good idea.

11. Martin
      October 28, 2016 at 9:59 am

It’s time that broadcast television networks should learn from cable TV and not force viewers to watch show they don’t want to watch. I prefer that TV shows should be offered straight to on-demand services, just like Netflix does.

12. LR
      October 28, 2016 at 8:40 am

The modern “entertainment” media is so thoroughly corrupt, this kind of portrayal of death, torture and evil is presented more and more as “normal” for no other purpose but to make money. It’ll only get worse because the weak-minded who watch this stuff are becoming addicted and desensitized to it and will require more and more violence to achieve the “thrill fix” they need. This kind of swill may appear to be normal for those who don’t object to swill, but for children, teenagers, young adults, the vulnerable and the innocent, they’re unknowingly opening a door to the devil that will be nearly impossible to close.(News flash – yes, he exists and he’s having a ball right now at your expense.) Satan’s agenda is to steal, kill and destroy. That’s it. If he can get his filthy mitts embedded into your life through this kind of mind-control, God help you.

13. October 28, 2016 at 8:10 am

This plethora of such violent TV shows that I see being aired these days can only do harm to the impressionable minds of the children, and mentally weak persons, that watch them. We need to be more discrete in the airing times of these violent programs to avert a widespread negative impact on people’s minds that are disposed to distractions caused by evil things these shows present. Please, for the kids!!

14. Jay
      October 28, 2016 at 7:25 am

Ohhhh nooo! Not the children! All those helpless parents, unable to prevent their children from watching a show that has been full of blood, violence, and increasingly startling scenes since the first episode! They must have been so powerless! With the millions of commercials leading to the airing, they still weren’t ready to protect themselves! We should all feel guilty. Very guilty. Shame on us all who willingly tuned in knowing what we were in for. Shame on us for over looking the graphic content warnings, MA rating, and previous history of the show and allowing that in our homes. My heart goes out to all those parents who had no way of protecting the children. Please, take more away from me and others so parents can protect their kids from unavoidable television.

un-believable.

15. Dan
      October 28, 2016 at 7:05 am

I’ve already responded to this blog and am very much FOR cable choice. What surprises me by some of the folks that have responded that are ok with keeping cable the way it is that they have totally missed the point of this discussion. Yes, parenting is a very important piece of keeping kids away from offensive material but that isn’t what cable CHOICE is about. Why should anyone have to pay for something they don’t want? I know we have to deal with that in other aspects of life but how would you like it if General Mills decided that in order for you to get your box of cheerios, you also had to buy a box of lucky charms, wheaties, coco puffs, trix and five or six other of their cereals. Hey, we all know everyone likes cheerios, but the other ones may not be able to stay in production if we don’t bundle them. Some people might bite the bullet and pay for the bundle but I would suspect that most would move to an alternative for breakfast and in this strange example, there are alternatives. With cable TV in the US there isn’t. Would anyone disagree with the fact that if you had the choice to pay a la cart for cable programming vs pay for bundled programming, most of which you wouldn’t watch, was a good thing? This debate isn’t about what parents should be doing to raise their children right, we already try to do that. This debate is about not being forced to subsidize content that we don’t want, will never use and want to keep out of our homes. It would actually make parenting easier.

16. Joe
      October 28, 2016 at 5:23 am

The main reason that I do not have any cable or T.V. package is that I do not believe that I should provide revenue for channels that air content that are against my principals. Rather I ever turn to those channels or not I am supporting them financially.

17. Edith
      October 27, 2016 at 9:10 pm

It’s rated TV-MA! That means it is not for kids! Just because it comes on, does not mean you have to sit down and watch it, and then turn around and complain about it. You have other television channels to watch, I’m pretty sure AMC isn’t the only channel you recieve. Just because you don’t like The Walking Dead does not mean no one else does. And just because you don’t, does not mean you have/get the right to say if it can be aired or not. The world does not revolve around you.
      Besides, it comes on at 8:00pm on a Sunday night! Kids should be in bed at that time anyway since they have school in the morning! Another thing,… Let me tell you about something I was raised with,… It’s called “parents in control”! Which means the parents tell the kids what they can and cannot watch, what they can do, or where they can go and at what time!! Maybe you learn how to parent before you try to run a cable company.

18. Virginia Newcomb
      October 27, 2016 at 8:08 pm

+We watch very few of the hundreds of channels available. Wish we had a choice and did not have to pay for so much that we do not use.

19. moax429
      October 27, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Right on, Count of Monte Cristo, re: your reply to Melanie. I couldn’t have said that better myself!

BTW: I *do* have only over-the-air with an outside antenna now, so I’m glad I no longer have to subsidize gross crap like this. But I *do* feel 100% for those who are strongly *in favor* of cable choice.

20. maria hernandez
      October 27, 2016 at 7:24 pm

what is good is bad what is bad is good that is so saaad