• PTC Calls for FCC Indecency Inquiry of Fox’s “The Mick”

by  • April 28, 2017 • Broadcast Decency, Fox, Press Release, Sexualization • 11 Comments

The Mick 2

The Parents Television Council is calling on concerned citizens to file FCC Broadcast Indecency complaints regarding this week’s episode of Fox Broadcasting’s “The Mick.”

This week’s episode of “The Mick,” which aired on April 25th at 8:30 pm Eastern/7:30 pm Central, centered on a teenage child, 17-year-old Sabrina, and her desire to get breast implants. The minor tells her guardian that “…you’re working the room like you’re mayor of tit town.” Not only was an indecent word used in a sexual context, but the dialogue was delivered by a minor. Furthermore, the entire episode included graphic sexual dialogue and double-entendres, yet it was rated by Fox as appropriate for viewing by children as young as 14 years old. [To view some of these scenes, watch here.]

“You’d think that the network programmers and broadcast standards staffs at Fox, the media company facing tremendous public criticism over allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct, would avoid airing a broadcast TV sitcom that so blatantly sexualizes a 17-year-old girl. Beyond being grotesquely irresponsible, we believe the content violates the broadcast indecency law,” said PTC President Tim Winter.

“George Carlin’s infamous comedy routine about the seven words you can’t say on television is still an unofficial guideline the FCC uses to determine whether language is in violation of Federal Indecency laws. At times of the day when children are likely to be watching broadcast TV, ‘tit’ is one of those words. If Fox wanted to air this program just as it was produced, it could have done so after 10pm or it could have moved the show to one of the several cable networks it owns.

“The industry’s tedious excuse that concerned parents could have used the V-chip to block the show doesn’t work here. The network rated the show TV-14, suggesting to parents that the program content was appropriate for children despite that the entire show focused on a teenage girl’s breasts.

“We urge the FCC to act and to help families protect their children from indecent content, just as the Congress has instructed and just as Chairman Ajit Pai has pledged. As long as Fox is licensing and profiting from the use of a public resource – the broadcast airwaves – they must abide by the law.”

It has been over two years since the PTC last filed a formal indecency complaint with the FCC. That filing was in February 2015 regarding an episode of Fox’s “Family Guy” and, to the best of PTC’s knowledge, the complaint was never adjudicated.

The following are just a few of the several scenes/segments containing sexual dialogue from “The Mick”:

• Mickey: “You’re not getting a boob job.”

Sabrina: “My mom bought them for me. They’re my 18th birthday present.”

Mickey: “Well, you’re 17.”

Sabrina: “I’m going to hit the ground running.”

• Dr. Goodby: Right, breast implants.

Dr. Goodby: Well all you have to do is choose a size.

Sabrina: Well, what would you recommend. I don’t want to go freakish with it. I just want to look more mature. Then again the last thing I want is to think I didn’t go big enough. How do you think a D would look?

Mickey: Like a broom with cantaloupe taped on to it.

Mickey: What do you say, want to walk a mile in these boobs?

• Sabrina: “Yeah maybe it’s because you’re working the room like you’re mayor of tit town.”

Mickey: “You wanna pop ‘em on? This is gonna be you from now on.”

Sabrina: “No mine will be attached to my body, not Frankensteined into my bra.”

Mickey: “I’m just gonna hang back here and have humongous boobs.”

Mickey: “One thing I’m noticing, all the women hate me. You picking up on that?”

Sabrina: “Yeah, I am, it’s because you’re eye-banging their husbands.”

Mickey: “No, I’m not. That’s what’s bugging me. I’m trying to eye-bang their husbands but I can’t seem to make eye contact with any of them. Too busy staring at my tig old bittys.”

Sabrina: “Just give me the boobs.”

• Waitress: “And she had these huge crazy fake boobs.”

Mickey: “Give me the boobs.”

Sabrina: “What? Why?”

Mickey: “Because I feel more confident with them, alright.”

Sabrina: “You love ‘em.”

11 Responses to PTC Calls for FCC Indecency Inquiry of Fox’s “The Mick”

1. Bob
      April 30, 2017 at 7:44 pm

That dialogue and content is no worse than a PG-13 movie. “Mean Girls” had worse content than that presented. The FCC won’t do anything about that.

• June 30, 2017 at 2:42 pm

It seems that you seem to hate the real corporate world. Yes it has shootings. I hope you like The Waltons and How It’s Made. I do. The Waltons and How it’s Made are good shows.

2. Marcus
      May 1, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Actually, FXX is allowed to air any content they want. The FCC only has control to channels that broadcast over the air, FXX is not one of them, sorry about ruining your crusade

• Christopher Gildemeister
        May 12, 2017 at 8:28 am

The Mick airs on the Fox broadcast network, on the broadcast airwaves, where it is subject to the broadcast decency laws enforced by the FCC. It is not on cable network FXX.

Sorry about ruining your rant.

3. Shinji
      May 2, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I don’t think “mayor of tit town” will get the FCC riled up. The impact of “tit” has been generally considered to be moderate compared to four-letter words, and there were no graphic descriptions of sexual acts or anything that’s warranted an indecency fine in the past.

• May 7, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Don’t lie. There were lots of sexual explicit stuff on that show. Maybe in your world there isn’t. But in the real word there is. I have complained to the FCC about this. Eventhough my “ticket” is closed, but they are investigating the program. And with Fox being short on money to air the show thanks to the PTC supporters emailing the corporations to withdraw their support, I don’t know how they are getting the extra money. Yes, the real world does have shootings and greedy people. But you have to tell the truth.

• Bob
          May 9, 2017 at 8:24 pm

He is telling the truth. “Mayor of Tit Town” is not indecent. As I said, this dialogue is no worse than an average teen flick.

4. May 7, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I think we don’t need any shows that contain sex. The show does need to be thrown out with the trash. Other two shows that they air that I feel that are stupid are TMZ and DISH Nation. For me, I have loaded a couple of episodes of Trick my Truck. And yes, it’s a show that is about trucks. And how they get worked on. Yet How It’s Made doesn’t have any sexual content in it, but it shows the public how our everyday things are made. Some of the machines on that show are driven by a combination of air and electricity. How It’s Made even takes me back to the days when I went with school on some field trips to an auto plant and to a bakery. Here is how an oven in a large bakery gets cleaned. It also gets cleaned by a 3rd shift crew. The conveyor is turned off. And the oven is turned off. Then they lift the side panels and do some scrubbing on the inside. The cleaning crew waits until the oven gets cool inside so that they don’t burn themselves. When I visited both the Ford Plant and the Wonder Bread Bakery, they had trams that would take the visitors thru. When the tours of the plants stopped, filming crews went in and toured and filmed the places and put them on TV for us to see.The cranes seen on How It’s Made are often operated by joy sticks in the cab of the crane.

5. Judy Calland
      May 9, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I watched it once all the way through and couldn’t believe it. Gross. Out of place. Kids. Really. I would not want my 20-15 year olds watch this garbage. I am surprised it got picked up again.

• June 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm

I am with you Judy! Hollywood has gotten to be pretty stupid these days. Best thing to do is to turn off Fox. Now I don’t know if you have heard of The Waltons, but it’s an old show that aired from 1972 to 1981 on CBS and it is now on INSP. How It’s Made is on Science. See if your 15-20 year olds will watch those two shows.

6. June 30, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Now I don’t know who all likes The Waltons. The Waltons aired from 1972 to 1981 on CBS. I remember that show very well. And back then, sex stuff was not allowed on TV. Entertainment back then was much cleaner. The Joy of Music and How It’s Made are two samples that we can still have clean TV. The Joy of Music is now a streaming television channel. And if you haven’t seen Diane Bish play, you should see her. She is a great organist. Who ever hasn’t seen The Waltons, it is now on INSP. We all need to see The Waltons and How It’s Made.