• Super Bowl Advertising Proof of TV’s Power to Persuade

by  • January 31, 2018 • Other • 32 Comments

bigGameAd2

Advertisers will spend an estimated $5 million for a 30-second spot during Sunday’s Super Bowl and a shot at pitching their brand or service to the largest audience for any television broadcast all year.

Some marketers have opted to use their 30 seconds to highlight a cause or their own charitable works. Many will shoot for a safe middle ground, featuring celebrities in inoffensive, humorous spots (Danny DeVito for M&Ms; David Schwimmer for Skittles; Bill Hader for Pringles; Peter Dinklage and Morgan Freeman for Mountain Dew and Doritos; Keanu Reeves for Squarespace). Others aspire to nothing higher than Monday morning watercooler-buzz and are willing to aim low to make sure people are talking about them.

But whether the ads aim high or low, they are a testament to the power of television to sway the choices and behavior of viewers. Why else would a large corporation – always conscious of costs and profit margins – spend that kind of money for 30 seconds of exposure?

Along with that power to persuade comes an obligation to act responsibly. With the largest audience for any televised event also comes the largest audience of children. Here’s hoping marketers will remember that, and act accordingly.

Below is a round-up of what to expect this Super Bowl Sunday; good, bad, and indifferent.

Don’t see the Super Bowl ad you loved – or loved to hate – highlighted here?

Tell us about it in the comments below.

————————————————–

The Good:

Beer Companies Highlight Good Works:

Budweiser and Stella Artois are both highlighting efforts to provide clean water to developing nations and to victims of natural disasters:

The Bad:

Groupon Aims for the Groin:

Febreeze’s [Bleep] Don’t Stink:

Amazon’s Alexa Lost Her Voice:

The Indifferent:

M&Ms Lucky Penny:

Mt. Dew Ice versus Doritos Blaze:

DonateSB

In the comments below, tell us what you liked, or didn’t like, in the “big game” commercials!

32 Responses to Super Bowl Advertising Proof of TV’s Power to Persuade

1. Stephen Salemi
      February 6, 2018 at 7:18 pm

I felt the Groupon C commercial with the rich old white guy getting kicked by a football and the black female speaking in the commercial was a subtle dig at the alleged white power structure.

2. EAZ
      February 4, 2018 at 8:17 pm

My personal favorite commercial was the Verizon commercial paying tribute to our first responders.

I have a question for the PTC. Why do you like the Budweiser and Stella Artois ads where they brag about providing water for disaster victims and developing nations? I thought you hated alcoholic beverage companies. Giving water to disaster victims and developing nations does not change the fact that alcoholic beverages kill thousands of people every year.

• Pastor Meek
        February 5, 2018 at 3:43 am

Always sad, sick, & SINFUL! EVERYONE needs to drink the FREE New Wine of The HOLY SPIRIT! To Live a Victorious, Life- Changing Born-Again Life! & make sure they miss hell where there is NO Water! & make Heaven their Eternal HOME! JESUS IS COMING BACK AT ANY MOMENT! EVERYONE Will have to Stand Before a Loving, Holy God & Answer for what they have done & for what they haven’t done! JESUS Loves YOU & will FORGIVE YOU!

3. M21203
      February 4, 2018 at 6:38 pm

T-mobile uses beautiful babies to promote a fraudulent leftist worldview and then asks, “Are you with us?” Answer: Absolutely not! Not now, not ever!

4. JC
      February 4, 2018 at 5:26 pm

The commercial with the motorcycle driver standing on his motorcycle at high speeds down a major highway. How many kids will die or suffer major injuries trying to copy that dangerous stunt?

• Sallee Gerbing
        February 4, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I agree. It promotes reckless behavior!

5. Jim Carter
      February 4, 2018 at 4:44 pm

His “bleep” may not stink but Febreze sure stinks for running that tasteless ad.

• salleegerbing1@gmail.com
        February 4, 2018 at 7:42 pm

It is tasteless and crude! It’s an insult to our intelligence.

• Pastor Meek
        February 5, 2018 at 3:44 am

Dirty mouth means dirty heart that needs to be clean by the precious blood of JESUS!

6. Wade
      February 4, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Can’t wait for the Super Bowl which will be exciting & thrilling game to watch like always, along with the ad’s which will be great seen a few from Greatest Super Bowl Ad’s on CBS on Tue night last week. Along with Halftime Show with Justin Timberlake as well.

7. Michelle
      February 4, 2018 at 10:04 am

I am boycotting the NFL until they respect non violent protest by their employees and stop discriminating against Kap for calling attention to the brutality against Black people at the hands of some law enforcement officers. Come on, that guy was reaching for his carry permit when the officer shot him. The entire encounter lasted 13-15 seconds, watch the video.
      The other dude had car trouble. The officer from a helicopter above some how managed to see that the guy “looked like trouble”, even though he was just a Black man walking.
      This flag that represents justice and America and pride for you, represents something that is still unfulfilled for Black Americans. We still have injustice, second class status and shame. The flag still represents, the dogs that the police attacked us with as we peacefully marched, the water hoses that we were attacked with as we marched and the inequity and inequality that we still face today because people have indifference and hate and bigotry in their hearts and minds.
      Please excuse any grammatical errors, I typed this on my phone.
      As far as the commercials go, our children are very impressionable therefore I think it’s prudent to mute or turn off from most commercials.
      Even the water/beer commercial is just an effort to endear us to the corporation.

8. Joseph
      February 3, 2018 at 6:23 pm

The mute button will be utilized often on Sunday.

9. Beth
      February 3, 2018 at 3:13 pm

My husband and I have stopped watching ALL NFL games, and will continue to boycott them until the disrespectful refusal to salute our flag stops. We both are retired Air Force, and are VERY offended by this latest “trend”.
      The NFL management, as well as the players doing this, should be very, very ashamed.

10. February 3, 2018 at 1:05 pm

I will not be watching the super bowl or the commercials until the nfl stops the kneeling during the National Anthem.
      Paying to have an ad during any sporting activity that has kneelers is a sorry way to support America and the people
      who live here and purchase your products.

• Judy & Jerry
        February 3, 2018 at 2:15 pm

M & M thought was STUPID

Alexa= Waste of my time.

Freebreeze-Hated it.

Groupon= NUTSo

WATER= GREAT

Beer water= Matt Damon do not watch anything with him in it as he LIED to do with fire in water facuets.

• Judy & Jerry
        February 3, 2018 at 2:16 pm

M & M thought was STUPID

Alexa= Waste of my time.

Freebreeze-Hated it.

Groupon= NUTSo

Water was =GREAT

11. February 3, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I do not enjoy any form of sports.
      Sorry about that.
      I will not support a professional team of anything.
      Nor do I support collegiate, high school or any other team type sport.
      From what I have witnessed as a local resident close to a Big Ten college team school where I paid huge amounts for my children to attend, let’s say over $125,000.00 per child from my own pocket while idiots are given free ride scholarships to attend a school they could never get in on their own and they then proceed to steal and rape while they are here……you’ve got me started already it appears.
      My feeling is pretty clear that I think the whole system is corrupted and vile.
      If you want to be an athlete that is fine, but do it on your own time, using your own money and enjoy it as a personal best.
      Anything more is corrupted.
      This latest “doctor” being sentenced to 175 years in prison for the crimes he committed to those young girls is what I’m referring to along with the hideous amounts these “athletes” are paid.
      Through in the NFL and their not taking the national anthem serious and I say we have a bunch of cry baby “snowflakes” and they are all being made mega wealthy.
      My message to any advertiser is to dump the NFL, the Super Bowl (BTW it’s not super) and dump all sports.
      Try investing in veterans and families and helping us feed and house the homeless. Do something worthwhile for a change.

• AXL1000
        February 3, 2018 at 8:25 pm

I agree with everything you say. Also, I have a few things to add.

Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James makes $30,960,000 a year, but the President Of The United States makes $400,000, even though the President Of The United States has a much more challenging important job.

It cost $975 million to build US Bank Stadium, a building that is 30 stories tall and has 1.75 million square feet, and it only gets used a few Sundays in a year, mostly in the fall and winter. That money and space could be better utilized if it was a shopping center or an office pavilion that was open seven days a week.

• Wade
        February 4, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Super Bowl is very exciting and entertaining to watch so yes it is very Super. I’m a big sports fan as for scholarships I’m big fan of that it isn’t just for sports there is scholarships for all kinds if students are very bright and smart etc you may want to do more research on scholarships but you want scholarships banned for athletes which is wrong to me. And for some that is the only way they could go to college is because of said scholarships which most athletes are very good people there are a few bad apples which you try to make it out to be all athletes.

Glad that Larry Nassar is in jail for life what he did was disgusting and sicking wish he was going to general pop like Jerry and not the hole which is too good for both of them I’ll always root for MSU in football & basketball also a Michigan fan as well.

12. Theresa Gibbons
      February 3, 2018 at 11:36 am

NFL – advertising represents the lowest common demonitor…really – this is all advertisers have to offer? Have all the kneelers go to Katmandu, Mongolia, Syria, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, or anywhere else if they don’t like it here.

13. PDA
      February 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Don’t worry. Eventually the NFL will go bankrupt and there will be no more Super Bowl Commercials because there will be no more Super Bowl.

• Wade
        February 4, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Your wrong PDA NFL will not go bankrupt as you have claim which is a lie without facts or proof. Getting excited for the game, the ad’s & halftime as well.

14. alleen Fish
      February 2, 2018 at 7:07 pm

I am boycotting the game. I haven’t watched any football since the kneeling started and I will not watch it ever again. I stick with high school and College. At least they honor our flag. Besides I am very upset that the NFL refused to play a Veterans ad during the Super Bowl. That is down right maddening and disgusting.

• AXL1000
        February 2, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Kneeling during the National Anthem is not only disrespectful, it does not solve any problems. Those who kneel are protesting without making it clear what they are protesting. If they held up signs, addressed the crowd with a loudspeaker, or handed out flyers, then they would be making it clear what they are complaining about. Instead they draw attention to themselves and the news media have to ask them why.

Apparently they are protesting police brutality.

Here is what I have to say about that. I know that a lot of people don’t understand this, don’t believe this, or don’t want to hear this, but here goes:

1. Police officers are here to protect the cities/states/nations they protect. They chose their careers to make the world a better place, not to stop people from having fun, not to persecute or exterminate African-Americans or minorities, and not for personal gain.
        2. If police officers hit, punch, club, beat, taser or shoot someone, 999 times out of 1000, that someone deserved it.

If you want to stop police brutality, start obeying the law and teaching your kids to do the same. Also, don’t hang out with people who are not law-abiding citizens. As George Washington put it, “It is better to be alone than in bad company.”

Those are the solutions that should be pursued instead of dishonoring our National Anthem.

• moax429
          February 3, 2018 at 11:44 am

Agreed 1000%, AXL1000.

And, like alleen, I think this year I *won’t* watch the game, especially for the reason she mentioned above regarding the NFL.

• Wade
          February 4, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Some do a great job in community they serve AXL some are making a difference Jenkins, Chris Long have talked about justice reform also Chris Long has been giving his game check to charity all season long as well at first was only going to be a few but decided to it for the whole season. You don’t want to hear it or research it and are stuck on a narrative as well.

Some in military would say they fought for the players right to kneel during the National Anthem which I’m so over it don’t care if the kneel or stand if I’m at the stadium I always stand for the Anthem,

• Wade
        February 4, 2018 at 12:28 pm

That wasn’t a TV ad that was going to be in Super Bowl program that those going to The Super Bowl can buy a program wasn’t a TV spot. You weren’t an NFL fan to begin with and just wanted a reason to stop watching I couldn’t ever stop watching the NFL I like it way too much not to watch it.

15. Anthony S. Altano
      February 2, 2018 at 12:10 pm

I am boycotting the Super Bowl and down with the NFL!!!! (Not For Long)

16. Jan MacGregor
      February 2, 2018 at 11:07 am

My family could not care less about the super bowl or the ads. There are so many reasons to not support the criminality, dishonesty & depravity of the NFL. We’ll be making fun snacks & watching a family movie & missing the “game”, half time and ads.

17. Chris
      February 2, 2018 at 10:03 am

Can’t wait for the big game to begin!

18. ERM
      February 1, 2018 at 7:35 pm

I have heard this quote once: ” Whoever tells the stories, defines the culture.”

Does that mean that people who do not tell stories do not define culture? If I am not a storyteller, is my life utterly meaningless and devoid of purpose? I don’t see how you or me or anyone else can have a purpose without defining culture.